Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Best feeling ever. Ever.

I really shouldn't be making time to write this -- but I couldn't NOT write this. I want to remember the feeling I have right now for a long, long time. I'll keep it too brief to do it justice -- but it's better than nothing, I suppose.

Tonight I fully, truly felt like a coach for the first time within the borders of the state of Vermont. I want to capture what this meant to me -- so that at any point in the future, when I am in any way lacking in motivation or inspiration, I can look back and remember how this felt. Remember what gave me meaning and purpose.

Seven women. Barely 20. All with brand new HRMs in tote, HRMs they didn't have before they met me just weeks ago. Wanting to learn how to use them to empower themselves. To improve their hearts, their focus, their lives. I found myself rising to the challenge of which I wrote yesterday. I spoke slowly, clearly. With precision. What I said mattered in that instant, to them. I was almost painfully mindful of that. Instead of fearing screwing it up as I went (as I misfired in the last scenario I described in my last post), I approached it towards the pursuit of a good job -- just that -- and it made all the difference. I always tell people that it does, that the reference frame matters.

It really does.

One of my students is completely revolutionizing the way she sees the world, having run herself into the ground for YEARS -- as she was trained to do. I met her through the course I taught for indoor cycling instructors last term, and was impressed at how readily she embraced my completely contrary approach. She bought a HRM and is in the process of not only learning how to teach with it, but to re-invent herself through her own training. It's scary to completely uproot the expectations and prism through which you operate in your world. I heard her this time. I responded deliberately and carefully - specifically oriented to what (at least I think) she needed to hear right there and then. Could I have done better? For sure. And I will. But did I contribute something in the moment when I was needed to contribute? Absolutely.

Often you don't get to re-do the things you feel bad about -- and certainly not 48 hours later. But I did. Redemption is sweet. And I'll remember this for the rest of my life.

No comments: