Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Night of Fulfillment.

New life policy: Blog entries need not be deep, philosophical analyses of life as we know it. If I'm actually going to continue to write when a) my husband-to-be is NOT away on a three-week hike, b) I'm on rotations like my current one, when I am allotted 4-6 TOTAL hours of free time per day (which I'd perhaps like to designate to sleeping), c) when I lack motivation to fulfill even the most basic life functions, I can't require myself to invest the amount of cognitive and emotional energy in my posts that I usually do.

I think there's plenty of stuff that just "happens" that I'd do well to capture, to hold onto.

Tonight was my first day of my surgery rotation -- I'm on "night float," covering the emergency surgical services for the next ten days. I work 6pm-9am every day, and my free time is broken up by random, inconvenient lectures. So I really only get to sleep for 4 hours each day, at random hours of daylight. I wasn't stoked.

But tonight was AMAZING. I interviewed patients in the emergency department with confidence, found that my brain was able to work most of the night (except 4am-6am: the end of the shift was unbearable and a complete waste of learning time -- I was just fighting to stay awake!), and had a particularly rewarding encounter:

20-something year old boy presents to the emergency department as if right out of a textbook. Sudden onset periumbilical pain that, over the course of hours, migrated to the right lower quadrant. Accompanied by nausea. Felt worst on bumps on the car ride to the hospital. Extremely tender; positive rebound. Classic appendicitis.

I took the patient's entire history, and spent 20 minutes getting to know him and his family - primary care-style. We talked about their lives, what he's studying in college, what he likes to do with his free time, what his concerns are. An hour later, I was scrubbed in to assist with his appendectomy at 2:45AM. Then, I was at his side in the post-anesthesia recovery unit, assuring him that he was "all fixed."

BAM. Just like that. A completed story, begun and wrapped up all in a few hours.

This almost NEVER happens. So many undetermined details, so much never discovered. Always so much pending. Mostly, that's ok. But this sort of rewarding, feel-good, warm-and-fuzzy connectedness and closure? Awesome.

No comments: